French toast is a classic breakfast dish that is enjoyed by many people around the world. However, traditional French toast is made with eggs and milk, which makes it unsuitable for vegans. Fortunately, it is possible to make delicious vegan French toast using plant-based ingredients.
Table of Contents
- Tips for Making Perfect Vegan French Toast
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Access All Amazing Prompts
To make vegan French toast, you will need the following ingredients:
6 slices of bread (white, whole wheat, or sourdough)
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (such as almond, soy, or oat milk)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Coconut oil or vegan butter for cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the plant-based milk, flour, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of coconut oil or vegan butter.
- Dip one slice of bread into the milk mixture, making sure both sides are well coated.
- Place the bread in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, adding more coconut oil or vegan butter to the pan as needed.
- Serve the vegan French toast warm with your favorite toppings, such as fresh fruit, vegan whipped cream, or maple syrup.
Tips for Making Perfect Vegan French Toast
- Use stale bread: French toast works best with bread that is a little bit dry and stale, as it will absorb the milk mixture more easily.
- Do not soak the bread for too long: If you soak the bread for too long, it may become too soggy and fall apart. Aim for a quick dip on both sides, making sure the bread is coated but not saturated.
- Use a non-stick pan: This will ensure that the French toast doesn’t stick to the pan and becomes evenly browned.
- Adjust the sweetness and spices to your liking: Feel free to add more or less maple syrup, cinnamon, or vanilla extract depending on your taste preferences.
- Chocolate French Toast: Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the milk mixture for a chocolatey twist.
- Cinnamon Raisin French Toast: Sprinkle some raisins and extra cinnamon on top of the French toast before cooking.
- Savory French Toast: Omit the maple syrup and cinnamon and add some salt, pepper, and herbs to the milk mixture. Serve with avocado and tomato for a savory breakfast option.
Health Benefits of Vegan French Toast
Vegan French toast is not only delicious, but it is also a healthy breakfast option. By using plant-based milk and skipping the eggs and butter, you are reducing your intake of cholesterol and saturated fat. Plus, the cinnamon and vanilla extract used in this recipe have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can benefit your overall health. Additionally, by adding fresh fruit and nuts as toppings, you are getting a dose of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Enjoy your vegan French toast guilt-free!
Vegan French Toast for Meal Prep
If you are someone who likes to meal prep or batch cook, vegan French toast is a great option for you. You can make a big batch of it on the weekend and store it in the fridge or freezer for easy breakfasts throughout the week. To reheat, simply pop the slices in the toaster or oven until warm and crispy. You can also pack them as a snack or a dessert for when you are on-the-go.
Gluten-Free Vegan French Toast
If you are following a gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy vegan French toast by using gluten-free bread. Look for bread made with rice flour, quinoa flour, or almond flour, which have a similar texture and taste to regular bread. You can also make your own gluten-free bread using a mix of gluten-free flours and xanthan gum, which acts as a binding agent. Follow the same instructions for the milk mixture and cooking process, and you will have a delicious and allergy-friendly breakfast.
Vegan French Toast with Aquafaba
If you want to take your vegan French toast to the next level, try using aquafaba as a replacement for eggs. Aquafaba is the liquid that comes from a can of chickpeas, and it has a similar consistency to egg whites. Simply drain a can of chickpeas and save the liquid in a mixing bowl. Whisk the aquafaba until it becomes frothy, then add it to the milk mixture along with the flour, maple syrup, and spices. Dip the bread into the mixture and cook as usual. You will have a vegan French toast that is fluffy, airy, and protein-packed.
Serving Suggestions for Vegan French Toast
Vegan French toast is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many ways. Here are some serving suggestions to inspire you:
- Classic: Top your French toast with fresh fruit, vegan whipped cream, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Nutty: Sprinkle some chopped nuts, such as almonds or pecans, on top of the French toast for a crunchy texture.
- Fruity: Serve your French toast with a side of berry compote or fruit salad for a burst of color and flavor.
- Chocolatey: Spread some vegan chocolate spread or hazelnut spread on top of your French toast for a decadent treat.
- Savory: Serve your French toast with sautéed mushrooms, spinach, and vegan cheese for a savory breakfast option.
- Holiday: Add some pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice to the milk mixture for a festive fall twist.
Vegan French toast is a delicious and healthy breakfast option that can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of their dietary preferences. By using plant-based ingredients and simple spices, you can create a flavorful and nutritious meal that will fuel your body and satisfy your taste buds. Whether you prefer it sweet or savory, with fruit or nuts, or with a side of coffee or tea, vegan French toast is a breakfast dish that you will want to make again and again.