Traditional gravy is made by simmering meat or poultry in stock, then thickening it with flour. As a result, it is not suitable for vegans or vegetarians.
Vegan gravy, on the other hand, is made without meat or dairy products. Instead, it is made with vegetable stock, herbs, and plant-based milk or cream. It is a versatile sauce that can be used to enhance the flavor of mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and other vegan dishes.
To make vegan gravy, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk or cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir until it is well combined with the onion and garlic.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable stock, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the soy sauce, thyme, and rosemary to the pan and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the gravy simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until it has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Add the plant-based milk or cream to the pan and stir until it is well combined.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot over mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or your favorite vegan dish.
Tips and Variations
- For a richer flavor, you can sauté mushrooms with the onion and garlic before adding the flour.
- If you prefer a smoother gravy, you can blend it in a blender or use an immersion blender.
- You can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more or less vegetable stock or flour.
- To make gluten-free gravy, use a gluten-free flour such as rice flour or cornstarch.
- You can experiment with different herbs and spices to create your own unique flavor.
Tips for Making Perfect Vegan Gravy
While making vegan gravy is easy, there are a few tips you can follow to ensure that it turns out perfectly every time.
Use Quality Ingredients
As with any dish, the quality of the ingredients you use will greatly affect the taste of your vegan gravy. Use fresh herbs, high-quality vegetable stock, and plant-based milk or cream for the best results.
Don’t Overcook the Flour
When you add the flour to the pan, be sure to stir it continuously and cook it for only a few minutes. Overcooking the flour can cause the gravy to become lumpy and affect the flavor.
Adjust the Consistency as Needed
The consistency of your gravy is a matter of personal preference. If it is too thick, you can add more vegetable stock or plant-based milk. If it is too thin, you can add more flour.
Add Flavorful Herbs and Spices
To enhance the flavor of your vegan gravy, add a variety of herbs and spices. Thyme, rosemary, sage, and parsley are all great options.
Use a Blender for a Smooth Texture
If you prefer a smooth texture, use a blender or immersion blender to puree the gravy before serving.
Don’t Overdo the Salt
Remember that the vegetable stock and soy sauce already contain salt, so be careful not to overdo it when seasoning your gravy.
Vegan gravy can be served with a variety of dishes. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted vegetables
- Vegan meatballs or sausage
- Lentil loaf
- Tofu scramble
- Veggie burger
Benefits of Vegan Gravy
There are several benefits to making and eating vegan gravy:
1. Healthier Option
Vegan gravy is a healthier alternative to traditional gravy, as it is low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
2. Environmentally Friendly
Choosing plant-based ingredients over animal products is better for the environment, as it reduces greenhouse gas emissions and conserves water.
Vegan gravy is also a great option for those with food allergies or sensitivities, as it is free from dairy, eggs, and gluten.
Making vegan gravy is a simple process that requires just a few ingredients and some basic cooking skills. By following this step-by-step guide, you can create a delicious and healthy sauce that will add flavor and depth to your vegan dishes. So go ahead, give it a try, and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills!
Making vegan gravy is a simple and delicious way to enhance the flavor of your vegan dishes. With a few basic ingredients and some cooking skills, you can create a flavorful and healthy sauce that everyone will love. So go ahead, give it a try, and enjoy the many benefits of vegan gravy!